Landmark is a small settlement located on the Red River Plain 25 km southeast of Winnipeg. It is a relatively new settlement dating from the 1920s when several Mennonite families purchased land in the area. It is now largely a dormitory community for Winnipeg. Like its larger neighbour to the southeast, Steinbach, it is not located on a railway line. Despite its newness and the lack of any topographic hindrance to building, the monotonous grid prevails; only in the northeast is there one crescent 1 and one bay 2. Single-family dwellings 3 predominate mainly along the north/south trending roads. Trees have been planted around most properties 4. The main road is a widening 5 of PR 206 6 that runs along a section line. A group of large buildings 7, possibly the administrative centre, is located west of the main street. Other items of infrastructure that can be identified are: in the southeast, a sports centre 8, including six baseball diamonds 9 and a large building 10 that might house curling lanes or a hockey rink; and two schools 11. Landmark is located in an area of fertile soils, now well drained, but subject to wet conditions as indicated by dark patches west of town 12. Its main industry is a livestock and poultry feed supplier that may be located in one of the unidentified large buildings. Its proximity to Winnipeg results in an increasing population, now over 1000.