Vertical colour air photo by Prairie Agri Photo
Flight height: lens focal length:
Scale: 1:7,000 (approx.)
Location: Township 7: Range17 WI
Map sheets: 1:250,000 62G Brandon
1:50,000 62G/12 Wawanesa
This large-scale colour air photo makes it possible to deduce some aspects of the community better than was possible with the black and white image of figure 8.31 as well as changes that have occurred since 1974.
1) The railway line has almost completely disappeared; only faint indications of its former location can be seen 1. However, the railway bridge still exists 2.
2) The route followed by PR 340 through the village 3 almost parallels the former railway line.
3) The wide main street can be clearly seen 4. Several large buildings can be seen on either side of the street 5, one of which 6 is the headquarters of the Wawanesa Insurance Company.
4) A group of buildings near the apex of the meander loop 7 was visible on figure 8.31, but it is much clearer here. It is probably a school.
5) Further east are two new large buildings 8; these are probably a hockey rink and a curling rink.
6) The racetrack is more obvious on this photo 9; baseball diamonds 10 are located inside the track.
7) A small outdoor pool is located in the north 11.
8) The sewage lagoons 12 in the northwest do not seem to be used now.
9) The contrast between a swathed field with well-defined rows of straw 13 and a field that has been combined, that has indistinct rows 14, is well illustrated on this photo.