Headingley Correctional Institute 1, opened in 1930, is the oldest of seven provincial correctional institutes in Manitoba. Its capacity is 485 minimum, medium, and maximum-security inmates, but that number is often exceeded. Following serious rioting in 1996, when the buildings were virtually destroyed, two new wings were constructed; possibly the two star-shaped buildings in the north 2. The jail is located near the western edge of the RM of Headingley on the north side of the eastward-flowing Assiniboine River 3. The approach road 4 leads to the Trans-Canada Highway just off the image to the north. The car park for employees and visitors is located in the northeast 5. Minimum-security inmates probably work dark-toned fields 6—fallow at the time the image was obtained.