Search Textbook

Table of Contents
Foreword
Preface
Glossary

Chapter 18: Transport and Communications: Past and Present

18.52: Brandon Airport

Originally the airport at Brandon had the characteristic triangular shape, but in order to accommodate larger planes the east/west runway 1 has been lengthened to about 1 mile (1.6 km). Various terminal buildings 2 are seen south of the runway. Brandon Airport was used in the Commonwealth Air Training Program: a museum dedicated to the program is now housed in one of the old hangers.

Note also the following:

1)  At the time of the photo the Trans-Canada Highway 3 was twinned only to just beyond Eighteenth Street 4. Eighteenth Street is also PTH 10; it continues to the north one mile further east 5. The bend in the road 6 is to accommodate the correction between townships 10 and 11. The correction is about 4,200 feet (1280 m) to the west 7, but PTH 10 swings east to the range line between ranges 18 and 19 8;

2)  An abandoned railway line in the east 9 can be seen;

3)  There is a campground 10 for tourists traveling along the Trans-Canada Highway;

4)  A trailer park 11 near the edge of the built-up area of Brandon (off the photo to the south) is visible; and

5)  A drive-in cinema 12--one of about 300 that used to exist in Canada-- was still in use when the photo was taken.

Figure 18.52: Brandon Airport

Figure 18.52: Brandon Airport

Figure 18.52

Vertical air photograph: A25397-239

Flight height: 9,700 feet a.s.l.; lens focal length: 152.034 mm

Scale: 1:16,700

Date: June 9, 1980

Location: Townships 10 and 11; Ranges 18 and 19WI

Map sheets: 1:250,000 62G Brandon

                    1:50,000 62G/13 Brandon