Table of Contents
2: Location, Borders, and Lakes
3: Geologic Structure and Landforms
6: Pre-historic and Early Historic Settlements
7: Survey Systems
8: Southern Hamlets, Villages, and Towns
9: Mennonite and Hutterite Settlements
10: First Nations Settlements
11: Northern Settlements
12: The Southern Cities
13: Mining and Oil Extraction
15: Industry / Manufacturing
16: Water Resources
17: Parks, Recreation, Sports
18: Transport and Communications: Past and Present
19: Legal Issues and Law Enforcement
12: The Southern Cities
Click for chapter introduction
All except one of Manitoba’s cities (Flin Flon) are located in the south. They range enormously in size from the newest, Winkler (9,106 in 2006) to Winnipeg, the capital city that has a greater population (633,451 in 2006) than all the others combined. Cities vary in form and function. Winkler, Selkirk, Portage la Prairie, Brandon and Winnipeg can be regarded as railway cities in that significant elements of their layout are railway determined. Also Selkirk, Winnipeg, Portage la Prairie and Brandon are river cities owing their existence in part to their location on the Red and Assiniboine Rivers. Steinbach is unusual in that it is not on a railway line. Its original layout was determined by a small northwest flowing stream (Steibach Creek); the result is similar to the pattern in Dauphin. In all cases development has spread beyond the original core with residential bays and crescents and some industrial areas near the fringes. The long lots based on its three rivers—the Red, Assiniboine, and Seine--profoundly influence Winnipeg’s road pattern. Numerous railway lines (past and present) are also influential in the layout of the capital.
12.21: Southern Winnipeg in 1948
This large-scale photo of southern Winnipeg shows very clearly the influence of the long lot system on land holdings and road pattern systems and also illustrates the usefulness of old photos. East of the Red 1 in the St. Vital area narrow fields run back from the river in a west-southwest/east-northeast direction 2. The same influence can be seen west of the river, but some amalgamation of lots has occurred resulting in greater distances between field boundaries and roads.
At the time the photo was taken the area was mainly residential with some small-scale farming. Numerous single-family dwellings are strung out along the roads, especially east of the Red 3. Parks and golf courses occupy a significant percentage of the land, for example, St. Vital Park 4 with a cemetery to the south 5, Dakota Park 6, River Road Park 7, Normand Park 8, and Southwood Golf and Country Club 9. The University of Manitoba campus is located at the neck of a large Red River meander 10 with small experimental plots to the west 11.
Two roads roughly parallel the Red River: in the west is Pembina Highway 12 that becomes PTH 75, and to the east is St. Mary’s Road 13 that becomes PR 200.
The photo is old and illustrates the usefulness of air photos in preserving historical information and detecting changes of land use. For example, much of the area east of the river is now filled in by roads (not following the long lot pattern) and houses. Also Bishop Grandin Boulevard 14 continues west to cross the Red on the Fort Garry Bridge (at 15 on the photo) and joins Pembina Highway just north of its intersection with University Crescent 16. From there it continues west to Kenaston Boulevard (off the photo). St. Vital Shopping Centre 17 is now located southeast of the junction of St. Mary’s Road and Bishop Grandin Boulevard, and University Stadium is located where the experimental plots 11 are located on this photo.
Figure 12.21: Southern Winnipeg in 1948
Vertical air photograph: A11667-98
Flight height: 8,740; lens focal length: 6 inches
Scale: 1:17,000 (approx.)
Date: August 18, 1948
Location: Township 9 and 10; Range 3E
Map sheets: 1:250,000 62H Winnipeg
1:50,000 62H/14 Winnipeg